Night Societe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic the Gathering and other CCGs

+3
Don Ramón
MesoZombie
Unsight
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Magic the Gathering and other CCGs - Page 4 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering and other CCGs

Post by Unsight Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Someone sounds bitter. My Glaring Token deck must have left quite an impression. *tap* *tap* *tap* Very Happy

I'll say it again though, whining about power levels when you're playing an elf deck that can produce Mana, produce tokens, give creatures +x/+x counters, give everything shroud, search your library, and do straight burn damage is hypocritical.

All that in one deck is a lot more threatening than a single indestructible creature which needs 8 mana plus the creature's mana cost or even Kaldra which needs 13 mana.
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Magic the Gathering and other CCGs - Page 4 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering and other CCGs

Post by El Duderino Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:15 pm

^^ So I made a deck that's flexible and can kill you before you get your killercombo and/or lockdown cards into the game... boh-hoo... what else am I supposed to do ??? Oh right.. built what you call a casual deck (what really is a multiplayer deck) and wait till your decks win... now who is bitter ???

Besides I made a elf deck without +x counters, without mass shroud, without endless tokens, without search library and without burn... did your complaining stop ??? Not at all... now I made some non elf Decks that probably suck against yours and you keep insisting indestructible cards are fair game...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Was that the worm deck?
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm

^^ The one with the worms was way to casual compared to your decks but since you complained about the elves so much I stepped it back a few notches to many... No it was the mono greed elf deck without +x counters, without mass shroud, without endless tokens, without search library and without burn... which you said was to fast for casual play... and then today you play a migraine deck... which is the definition of speed and card advantage... a little schizophrenic no ??? I had one of those once... but since my buddies never beat it once in one vs. one and refused to ever play against it I though it wouldn´t be the "casual" deck you where looking for...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:31 pm

What about Repercussion and Aura? They weren't so bad...
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by hunter_alien Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:14 pm

[quote="fkusumot"]
Unsight wrote:For those who don't know...

Magic: The Gathering (colloquially "Magic", "MTG", or "Magic Cards") is a collectible card game created by mathematics professor Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. Magic is the first example of the modern collectible card game genre and still thrives today, with an estimated six million players in over seventy countries.[3] Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or third-party programs.

I'll just brag, but this is all completely true.

Yeah, I used to play it on the first MTG Tour. Then I started a website called the Magic Dojo in 1996 and ran it for three years until it got bought from me (or to put it another way, I sold it). The three years that I ran it (and it was just me, I did the entire website) is archived at http://www.classicdojo.org/. It was the largest MTG website on the 'net by far. It was like a message forum but people had to send me emails, then I would accept or reject them, do a little formatting or editing for most of them and then posted them where I thought it was appropriate. Most of the writing was crap, you can see it on the archived site. There were 20+ people that were mediocre to good writers that I relied on a lot and they were spread all over the country. And then there was five guys who started out with me as their editor and now all of them have worked for WoTC. Three of them are still there and one is part of the team that makes new cards. When all these people were writing articles for me and travelling to tournaments to do reporting, or more like reporting from a tournament they just played ('specially if they won), they did it all for free. The only thing they ever got was a T-Shirt.

WoTC would fly me in to cover the PT's and World Championships. I hung out with Garfield, Skaff and Rosewater. Mostly Rosewater. Garfield is a complete introvert and Skaff is a bit of an asshole. Rosewater is a flaming queen so we got along just fine, just standing around, watching people play and discussing the underlying dynamics, strategy and meta-game. I have been recognized (a few years ago) by WoTC as one the three most important theorists/writers of the early MTG scene and deckbuilding. I got the award for this article where (I guess) I laid down the first solid explanation of the mana-curve and how a good deckbuilder would utilize it.

I used to hang out with all the players too. Amazingly they were all pretty much such fantastic nerds that a party to them meant playing Classic-Black-Border-Draft with two teams of six each. It was funny once, twelve guys sitting on the floor of the deck of the Queen Mary (they had a couple PT's there) and the first guy on his first turn kills everyone and they all yell in one voice "Fuck you Finkel!".

So anyways, I lost interest in playing after I sold the website even though I was on the board of directors and owned stock in the newly formed company (which eventually got sold to USA Networks just before the bubble popped).

As of now my main association with MTG is that I'm one of the guys on the selection committee for the "MTG Hall of Fame". Since I haven't been keeping up with the PT a lot lately I may resign that position after the last person that I think deserves it wins.

I could still play but they actually changed the rules that I know (with interrupts and the rest of the broken abuseable stuff) and I only know the cards up to Tempest. I have an all Alpha card deck that I use for fun if someone wants to play and a Beta recursion kill deck just for the lulz.

My Award Winning Article
MTG Hall of Fame Selection (I'm about halfway down the list)
Great Interview of Me

Wow... color me impressed :O
hunter_alien
hunter_alien

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm

^^ You should see him at weddings... that's impressive...

Oh and if you know magic you should play with us... for ever and ever and ever...

Magic the Gathering and other CCGs - Page 4 Shining_twins_1
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by hunter_alien Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm

El Duderino wrote:^^ You should see him at weddings... that's impressive...

Oh and if you know magic you should play with us... for ever and ever and ever...

Magic the Gathering and other CCGs - Page 4 Shining_twins_1

I used to collect cards to... but lack of partners made my whole collection just another pretty card collection Razz But that was a looong time ago Laughing
hunter_alien
hunter_alien

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

It would be so cool to get a 3-4 person game going. cat
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:30 pm

@ hunter: I also haven´t played for years and don´t really know the new cards and rules... but we just want to play fun casual games so any skill level is fine Smile
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by hunter_alien Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Ok... I could freshen up my rule knowledge... hell, now I might go and actually try and find my old deck Very Happy
hunter_alien
hunter_alien

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:43 pm

^^ COOOL... btw. just so you know we have som house rules to keep is somewhat casual...

No power 9 cards
(original Lotus, original 5 Moxes, Ancestral Recal, Time Twinst, Time Walk)

No infinite combos
(No combos that would give you unlimited mana creatures or anything like that)

No card with indestructible ability
(pretty self explanatory)

No shadow abilities
(I guess if you had one or two cards with shadow ability it would be ok... but no making a deck around that ability)

Also try not to make lockdown decks that tap all enemy permanents every turn or stop them from drawing cards... they make the game pretty boring...

If you have any personal preferences of something you really can´t stand let us know and we´ll find a solution...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:48 pm

El Duderino wrote:No card with indestructible ability
(pretty self explanatory)

No shadow abilities
(I guess if you had one or two cards with shadow ability but no making a deck around that ability)

Also try not to make lockdown decks that tap all enemy permanents every turn or stop them from drawing cards... they make the game pretty boring...

The dude hates my decks... ><
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:59 pm

^^ Thats because all you do is make hateable decks that lockdown the enemy once you have the right cards... besides whenever I make a deck that actually has a good chance of winning you complain about something you later do yourself...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Ramón Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm

^^^ here we go again!
Don Ramón
Don Ramón

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:21 pm

El Duderino wrote:^^ Thats because all you do is make hateable huggable decks that lockdown the enemy once you have the right cards... besides whenever I make a deck that actually has a good chance of winning you complain about something you later do yourself...

Fixed. cat

Besides... how was I to know that Rack = Migraine. ><
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:25 pm

^^ You complained my decks where to fast any you only had multilayer decks... and then you make a super fast deck with mega card advantage... I´m pretty sure you could have known that...

But lets get over that and try to make decks we all can agree on...
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Hey... I'm working on getting a happy middle ground.
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by El Duderino Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:02 pm

^^ lol at our last game... about five minutes later I remembered that my Chameleon Colossus is all creature types at all time... so the one attack that got threw would have killed you with the bird powerups... totally forgot that... at least I still won... but barely... that will teach me never to smoke and game Smile
El Duderino
El Duderino

Back to top Go down

Post by Unsight Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Eh... you won anyway...
Unsight
Unsight

Back to top Go down

Post by fkusumot Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 am

Wow, I sold a lot of my collection this Holiday season. Racked up 4k which was a thousand more than last year. This year I sold one of the Black Lotus'
Fortunately, to play over the net you don't all those expensive cards.
fkusumot
fkusumot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum